The NJ Divisions of Pensions and Benefits has contracted with Alight Dependent Verification Services to conduct a Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit (DEVA) for all State Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) and School Employees Health Benefits Plan (SEHBP) members— active and retired— with dependents covered by SHBP/SEHBP.
Members will be contacted by Alight via mail for submission of necessary verification documents (birth certificates, adoption certificates, marriage certificates, recent proof of joint ownership by spouses, etc.) All documents should be submitted to Alight, not to employers or the NJ Division of Pensions and Benefits.
Members with single coverage single coverage will not receive this letter.
* Amnesty – anyone removing a currently ineligible dependent will not be assessed back premiums for the time the dependent was ineligible.
* More recent Birth/Adoption/Marriage Certificates — since the last DEVA, no new dependent has been allowed to be included under SHBP coverage unless the proper birth/adoption/marriage certificates were forwarded to the Division of Pensions and Benefits. Despite this, any such information provided to a member’s agency and the Division of Pensions and Benefits since the last DEVA must be provided again as part of this DEVA.
* Spouse verification – in addition to a marriage certificate, current proof of joint ownership will be necessary for every spouse. Most frequently this will be a recent tax return showing either married filing jointly or married filing separately status. Other proofs of joint ownership may be required in some situations.
* Tax returns – Alight only needs to see the beginning portion of your tax return listing your dependents (relationship) and the year — redact/block any financial information.
* Communication with Alight — members can sign up to receive email notices and reminders from Alight.
* Getting the documents to Alight — a secure, individualized portal will be set up for each member by Alight at which members can upload copies of the necessary documents that are needed. Copies of documents can also be faxed, emailed or mailed to Alight.
* What if a member who has dependents in SHBP does not receive any mail from Alight? Members with dependents may contact Alight directly at 1-833-372-8748.
* How can I help my members with the DEVA? Share this information with them. Agencies and local governments should have information concerning which employees have dependents – this information can be used to determine who has dependents and will be part of this DEVA.
For more information visit: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/hb-info-deva.shtml