Attention: Verizon strikers regarding filing for unemployment in New Jersey
We believe that we may be eligible for New Jersey Unemployment and that every striker should apply TODAY. CWA has filed forms with the New Jersey Department of Labor and we have listed you as a Striking Verizon member of CWA.
The instructions for filing for benefits are as follows:
Strikers should apply for unemployment insurance immediately, certify their eligibility weekly, keep a log of their weekly job search efforts, track and report any money received, and meet any appointments necessary with the Dept. of Labor.
A crib sheet of comprehensive information on how to file can be found here:http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/
- File a claim at www.njuifile.net (claim is dated the Sunday of the week in which you file) – Pg. 1
- Determine monetary eligibility – Pp. 2-4
- Determine benefit entitlement – Pg. 5
- Attend potential re-employment services meeting – Pg. 6
- Register for work – Pg. 7
- Track job search on form – Pg. 37-38
- Re-certify weekly for benefits – Pg. 10
- Be able to work, available for work, and actively seek work
- Recertify by internet – Pg. 12
- Recertify by phone – Pg 13
THE LIKELIHOOD IS THAT WE WILL BE REJECTED. IF YOU ARE REJECTED – YOU MUST APPEAL.
IF YOU ARE REJECTED AGAIN BY THE APPEALS TRIBUNAL – YOU APPEAL AGAIN.
WE MAY EVENTUALLY END UP IN COURT, BUT IF WE WIN, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR BACK UNEMPLOYMENT IF YOU DID NOT APPEAL.
ALSO – EVEN IF YOU ARE REJECTED, YOU NEED TO RECERTIFY EVERY WEEK AS INDICATED UNDER ITEM 6 OR IF WE WIN, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR BACK BENEFITS.